Last week the lovely AimeeBelle posted The Wanderlust Tag. As a travel junkie, I LOVE this tag! I actually already knew AimeeBelle was going to be posting this at some point and I was way too excited about it (sad I know!) I waited three days to read her post, and was chuffed to see on Twitter she had specifically tagged me. Thanks Aimee.
Okay, so to some people it’s just a bunch of questions, but to me, the girl who spent more than a year planning a trip of a lifetime (that’s more time than I’d ever spend on planning a wedding), it’s the best tag ever! I only wish there were more questions … like, a couple hundred more. I could talk travel all day.
1. Your most treasured passport stamp? I think it would have to be China. It was the first country we visited on our backpacking adventure. Prior to this, my passport stamp consisted of just three European stamps from years ago. I remember the China Visa being quite difficult to get because I worked in media. When the man finally stamped my passport allowing me into the country, it was the beginning of everything.
2. Can you recite your passport # from memory if asked? A couple of months ago when I was still travelling and working abroad, absolutely. Now? Hmmm, I think there’s an 8 in there somewhere.
3. Preferred method of travel; planes, trains or automobiles? I’ve never been a great flyer, but backpacking helped me overcome my fear. But it’s still not my favourite way to travel. I’d pick automobiles because I love a good road trip, but if that includes buses then no way. It would have to be train. I loved training it through Thailand, and UK trains these days are so quick and easy.
4. Top 3 travel items? A bumbag, a notebook and of course a camera! Read my Backpacker Essential post to see what other essentials I’d pack.
5. Hostel or hotel? If I’m backpacking, it’s hostels all the way; it’s a great way to meet people, and it’s a lot cheaper. But if I were going on a weekend away, or a romantic break, definitely a hotel. You need a bit of luxury every now and then.
6. Are you a repeat visitor or do you explore new places? I love going back to places I’ve visited before, but if the last 15 months has taught me anything it’s to explore as much as you can.
7. Do you read up on your destination (culture, history, safety) or do you wing it? 50/50. I like to read up on the culture, the do’s and dont’s, safety, but sometimes going blind into a new city or country can be an amazing thrill, as I learnt in Vietnam,read about that here.
8. Favourite travel website? I book all my flights through cheapflights.co.uk, and still to this day can’t believe just how cheap I got them, I flew Sydney to London for £450! I just recently found amusingplanet.com, it’s a great website for scrolling when you’re bored, it’s full of weird and wonderful things and is great for travel inspiration.
9. Where would you recommend a friend to visit? Name the city & why. Koh Tao, Thailand. During the day you can snorkel, swim, go for hikes in the hills and mountains, enjoy the shops, or just soak up the sun on the beach. Whereas the evenings are made for watching the incredible sunset with a beer (or an incredible storm in the distance), munching on tasty street food and watching fire throwers & dancers perform on the beach. You end the night dancing away on the beach, underneath the stars, with both friends and stranger!
10. You’re leaving tomorrow, money is no option, where are you going? America, for an epic road trip crossing the whole country. New York to LA.
Everyone should do the Wanderlust tag, even if your an inexperienced traveler. I tag EVERYONE, but specifically these awesome bloggers: